|I really didn't do any of this|
The Best Laid Plans...In early November, I had it in mind to do a variation to the NaNoWriMo Challenge. For the NaNoWriMo challenge, people set out to work on a novel every day for a month.
For my adapted version, I was going to do a self-taught accelerated "Mass Communications School" for the month, by reading five books I had to help learn more about Communications.
That...did NOT happen. However, I definitely still received a big old INTENSE crash course in Communications, just not in the way I anticipated.
What Happened InsteadIn my previous post, I discussed why my posts to Vintage Bridge have been sparse since the summertime, mostly having to do with my active involvement in local organizations, along with organizing the Boston Poetry Marathon. I also discussed the significant issues the Democratic Women's Caucus in Rhode Island was encountering from the state party (so-called) leadership.
Things only heated up from where I left off.
As a result, in the month of November and into early December, I had some very enlightening adventures related to teaching myself the ropes when it comes to Communications.
My Communications Adventures in the Past 6 WeeksWorking with the Chair of the Women's Caucus and other Executive Committee members, we churned out a silly amount of Caucus-wide communications and media advisories.
Listing them here in the order they were published can give you a good sense of what we went through as an organization since early November.
Once Upon a Women's Caucus: a Harrowing Tale of Fighting Local Autocracy, as Told through a Series of Mailchimp Mailers
- Media Advisory: RHODE ISLAND DEMOCRATIC PARTY WOMEN’S CAUCUS STATEMENT IN RESPONSE TO THE STATE PARTY PROPOSED BYLAWS CHANGES
- Caucus-Wide Email: The future of the RIDPWC
- Media Advisory: RHODE ISLAND DEMOCRATIC PARTY WOMEN’S CAUCUS CALLS FOR PROTEST AT THE UPCOMING STATE PARTY COMMITTEE MEETING
- Caucus-Wide Email: Three Actions You Can Take to Help the RIDPWC
- Caucus-Wide Email: 3 Things You Can Do to Help the RIDPWC
- Media Advisory: THE RHODE ISLAND DEMOCRATIC WOMEN’S CAUCUS
- Caucus-Wide Email: The Rhode Island Democratic Women's Caucus
- Caucus-Wide Email: December Newsletter
- Caucus-Wide Email: General Meeting Reminder
Other Ways I Taught Myself Many New Skills When It Comes to Communications
- Created a Policy and Procedures Manual for the Communications Committee
- Started a new Medium account for the RIDWC
- Migrated social media accounts on Twitter and Facebook to the new caucus, including changing handles and posting our brand new excellent logo
- Migrated MailChimp to the new caucus
- Changed all the formatting of the Mailchimp templates for the new caucus (theme colors, logos, and copy)
- Created a Gmail account for the new caucus (RIDWomensCaucus [at] gmail)
- Created a new Membership form on Google Forms
- Learned how to import Google form data into Mailchimp
- Expanded the Media Advisory audience list to three times the size
- Started a book club for the Caucus (first meeting in January--more details to come)
- Created a Google Alert for keywords
- Began keeping a running list of media coverage of the Caucus